History of Lake View
On March 10, 1958 a group of 110 North East, PA golfers unanimously approved the formation of a golf course corporation and endorsed the purchase of land for the purpose of building a golf course. The plot of land was located on Route 89 on the bluff overlooking the town and vineyards of North East and the blue expanse of Lake Erie. The vote of confidence authorized the incorporation of Lake View Developments, Inc.
Prior to the meeting, a seven member "steering committee" which was headed by William Speicher, sparkplugged a drive to sell stock to local residents. Other members of the "steering committee" were Lou Walz, Bill Power, Ted Selkregg, Charlotte Weinheimer, James Meehl and Attorney Owen Sheridan. The goal of the committee was to sell $120,000 of stock at $200 per share.
The mission of the corporation when it was chartered was twofold:
- Design and build an 18 hole golf course.
- Develop the land adjacent to the golf course into a residential community.
Construction of the golf course began in mid-1958 and was completed ahead of schedule. Much of the construction was performed by local contractors and area companies and shareholders donated time and materials for this labor of love. The first round golf was played on Memorial Day of 1959. It was billed by many as the "Golf Course of the Future." The 7,010 yard layout was carved out of the forests and orchards on the hillside and offered a spectacular view of the area.
Today, Lake View members enjoy a spacious comfortable clubhouse and pro shop facilities with all of the amenities. The rolling course winds through hundreds of mature trees. Fairways are lush and a modern irrigation and drainage system provides strong, lightening-fast greens. It's a magnificent facility in a very desirable location and on a par with the finest golf courses anywhere.
Having accomplished the first half of their dreams to have their own golf club, Lake View Development Corporation has decided to move forward to complete the original mission and develop the residential property. To do that, Lake View Development Corporation sold the golf course property to the membership of Lake View Country Club in 2001. The capital generated by the sale will be used for the residential development.